Intended for students and practitioners in advanced undergraduate and graduate courses on diversity, this collection of essays and personal reflections is written from a social constructivist perspective that those in schools of education, counseling, children and family studies, and social work will find particularly relevant. The authors propose practices that promote democratic conversations regarding diversity by creating opportunities to share personal stories and to listen to other people's stories. They examine policies and practices that can either empower or stifle understanding in different situations. Finally, they present stories to serve as catalysts to promote democratic conversations and multicultural understanding in various contexts.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins :
I. CONVERSATIONS IN DIVERSITY.1. Stories of We the People: An Invitation to Join in the Conversation on Diversity in a Democracy, by Victoria R. Fu.
2. Hermeneutic Listening in Multicultural Conversations, by Stephanie L. Kimball and Jim Garrison.
3. A Feminist Perspective on Diversity: Taking Women's Voices Seriously, by Katherine R. Allen.
4. Weaving Multiculturalism into the Fabric of the Community, by Karen DeBord.
II. PRACTICES IN DIVERSITY.5. Use-of-Self in Social Constructionist Therapy: Some Guidelines for a Multicultural Practice, by William R. Scott.
6. Developing Interpersonal Understanding in Teaching Culturally Diverse Children, by Andrew J. Stremmel.
7. A Pedagogy of Caring and Thoughtfulness: Living and Sharing Our Lives with Our and Other People's Children, by Victoria R. Fu and Andrew J. Stremmel.
8. Children, Schools, and Social Class, by Doris Martin and Mary Cherian.
III. JOURNEYS IN DIVERSIT
- Data Publicarii : 1999
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- Numar pagini : 210
- ISBN : 9780023398339