The Labour Government's programme of constitutional reform represents one of the most ambitious political initiatives this century, and its results are likely to transform the United Kingdom's system of government. Providing an authoritative and comprehensive account of these plans and the thinking and debates that surround them, this volume covers constitutional changes now or shortly being implemented by the government as well as longer-term measures and objectives under consideration.The book is edited by two of the UK's leading constitutional commentators, with a team of contributors recognised as experts on their individual subjects. It represents a key contribution to the debate on Labour's constitutional agenda, and will be essential reading for anybody concerned with the wider political and legal implications of this programme.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins : PART ONE - PARLIAMENT
1. The House of Lords
2. The voting system
3. The funding of political parties
4. Electoral law and administration
5. House of Commons proceduresPART TWO - THE EXECUTIVE
6. Monarchy and the Royal Prerogative.
7. The Civil Service.
8. Freedom of information.
9. National security.
10. The implementation of constitutional reform.PART THREE - EUROPEAN, REGIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
11. The European Union.
12. Scottish and Welsh devolution.
13. English regional government.
14. Northern Ireland.
15. Local authorities.PART FOUR - JUTICE AND HUMAN RIGHTS
16. The judiciary.
17. A British bill of rights.
18. A parliamentary committee on human rights.
19. A human rights commission.
20. Citizens' access to the law.Appendices
- Data Publicarii : 1999
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- Numar pagini : 536
- ISBN : 9780582369993