This ambitious and wide-ranging study of the European Middle Ages stresses the long-term factors of continuity, evolution and change. David Nicholas discusses the social and economic aspects of medieval civilization, and examines their links with political, institutional and cultural development.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins : List of maps.
Part One: The precursors of a civilisation.
1. The Roman heritage of medieval civilisation.
2. Forging a Christian synthesis.
3. Tribal Europe before the eighth century: the Germans and the Celts.
4. The Eastern heritage.
Part Two: The birth of a civilisaton: Early medieval Europe, c 700-920.
5. The Carolingian West: Europe in the eighth and ninth centuries.
6. Changes on the land.
Part Three: The maturity of a civilisation: Europe in the central middle ages, c 930-1270.
7. Government and politics: Emperors and Popes.
8. Government and politics: England and France in the central middle ages.
9. Nobles and crusaders.
10. The social and economic changes of the central middle ages.
11. The intellectural awakening of medieval Europe.
12. The spiritual life of the central middle ages.
Part Four: the old age of a civilisation: The late middle ages, 1270-15
- Data Publicarii : 01 Jan 1992
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- Numar pagini : 560
- ISBN : 9780582092570