This book is a study of four of Shakespeare's major tragedies - "Hamlet", "Othello", "King Lear" and "Macbeth". It looks at these plays in a variety of contexts - both in isolation and in relation to each other and to the cultural, ideological, social and political contexts which produced them.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins : List of illustrations
Part One: Shakespeare's England
1. Religious and philosophical developments.
2. Government and authority.
3. Elizabethan and Jacobean society
4. `Words, words, words': Shakespeare's English.
5. Plays into print.
Part Two: Shakespeare and the theatre of his time
6. Elizabethan and Jacobean tragedy.
7. Shakespeare's theatre
8. Plays and audiences
Part Three: Critical Analysis
11. King Lear.
12. Macbeth. Postscript: What lies beyond tragedy?
Part Four: Reference Section
Appendix: The theatres of Shakespeare's London
- Data Publicarii : 1991
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- Numar pagini : 256
- ISBN : 9780582355033
DISPONIBILITATE INCERTĂ: Cere detalii