This collection of essays is designed to reveal the realities of men's lives in the Middle Ages. The essays cover a wide geographical range and span the entire medieval period, from the 4th to the 15th century. The book is divided into four main sections.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins : Introduction
1. Medieval Masculinities?
PART ONE: ATTAINING MASCULINITY.
2. `Death maketh the man': The construction of masculinity in the early Middle Ages.
3. Frustrated masculinity: The relationship between William the Conqueror and his eldest son.
4. Masters and men in later medieval England.
5. The masculine military ethos c. 1050-1250.
Part TWO: LAY MEN AND CHURCH MEN: SOURCES OF TENSION
6. Monks, secular men and masculinity c. 900.
7. `Monks in flux': nocturnal emission and the limits of clerical celibacy in the early Middle Ages.
8. `Angels incarnate': clergy and masculinity from Gregorian Reform to Reformation.
9. Clergy, masculinity and transgression in late medieval England.
PART THREE: SEXUALITY AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF MASCULINITY
10. Men and sex in tenth-century Italy.
11. Images of effeminate men: the case of Byzantine eunuchs.
PART FOUR; WRITTEN RELATIONSHIPS AND SOCIAL REALITY
12. Love, separation and male friendship
- Data Publicarii : 30 Nov 1998
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- Numar pagini : 296
- ISBN : 9780582316454
DISPONIBILITATE INCERTĂ: Cere detalii