Through her selection of fourteen essays, Tess Cosslett charts the rediscovery by feminist critics of the Victorian Women Poets such as Emily Bronte, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti, and the subsequent developments as critics use a range of modern theoretical approaches to understand and promote the work of these non-canonical and marginalised poets. While the essays chosen for this volume focus on these three major figures, work is also included on less well-known poets who have only recently been brought into critical prominence. The introduction clarifies for the reader the themes, problems and preoccupations that inform the criticism and provides a useful guide to the debates surrounding poetry and feminism, investigating such questions as, how feminist are these poems, and does a women s tradition really exist? The advantages and disadvantages of applying different critical approaches, such as psychoanalytic and historicist, to the understanding of this period and genre are also fully explored.
- Limba : Engleza
- Cuprins : General Editors Preface
Introduction,' Inner' and 'outer' readings
How feminist are these poems?
Is there a women s tradition?
Emily Brontë, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Christina Rossetti. Other poets.
1. Margaret Homans, `Emily Brontë`
2. Christine Gallant, `The archetypal feminine in Emily Brontë's poetry.'
3. Kathryn Burlinson, What language can utter the feeling: Identity in the Poetry of Emily Brontë
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
4. Cora Kaplan, Introduction to Aurora Leigh.
5. Dolores Rosenblum, Face to Face: Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh and nineteenth century poetry.
6. Deirdre David, Defiled Text and Political Poetry.
7. Rod Edmond, A printing women who has lost her place: Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh,
8. Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar, `The aesthetics of renunciation.'
9. Dorothy Mermin, Heroic Sisterhood in Goblin Market.
10. Isobel Armstrong, Christina R
- Data Publicarii : 1996
- Editie : 1
- Format : Paperback
- ISBN : 9780582276499
DISPONIBILITATE INCERTĂ: Cere detalii